Author Topic: Dirty honey straining....... Need some tight straining cloth suggestions!!  (Read 502 times)

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
So, my last two hives produced a boat-load of honey and wax; two hives, 11 GALLONS of honey. I separate the brood as best I can, and try to check and be sure I avoid storing nectar filled comb with the honey. So I pressed it all thru my super-duper homemade honey press, and am using a paint straining mesh (Ala Home Depot, Lowe's style stuff. Works great with the wax, and is a one step deal for clean comb.... but a lot of my cutouts have older comb, and the honey is grainy and has hints of pollen in it, and th darkness of the tannins and gunk of the older comb.

So, what straining media or material do you recommend to strain this honey thru? It's sitting, well filtered and clarifying, bt it's darker, and yeah, grainy, gritty on your tongue a little. I know there has to be some good ways to clean it up...... please help us out, I am certain I am not the only one!!! :o

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
I feed that honey back to the bees. I don't filter my honey because I believe the pieces of pollen are a big part of why honey is healthy to eat. I run mine through a wire strainer to remove any bees, beetles or large pieces of comb. Then I let it sit for a few days. The wax will rise to the top and can be skimmed off. I haven't had issues with other sediments.

BUT...

Have you tried a nut milk strainer bag? My wife makes oat milk, coconut and almond milks. The strainer bags she uses are pretty tight and get all the little pieces. You could even double it up if you wanted to get crazy. I haven't tried running honey through my wife's as she guards them like a rock from the moon.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:19:11 PM by vadentwin »

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
We use the double stainless wire strainer.  It strains down to about 600 microns.  Sometimes I layer cheese cloth in them for a second strain.  If that doesn't cut the mustard and I still don't like what I've got I just feed it back.

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
Monday I raid the McMaster-Carr catalog, and look some stuff up!!! Will check back with what I find. 8)

Andrew in SE GA

• Worker

• View Profile
I also use the double stainless wire strainer, then I let the honey sit for about a week and whatever fine wax and trash will float to the top to be skimmed off with a spoon.

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
So, we have some felt lined sump strainers that are polyester cloth outside, bags that go into our washdown pad water recovery system. (We powerwash our cranes and backhoes, dump trucks) My older system had a few spare bags, so it was a no brainer to try.  8)

End result, some shiny-as-hell polished clean honey! But, it takes too long as I am set up at the moment, and a slightly lower level of straining would be ok. I was down at I think 80 microns, whereas the paint strainer bags from Home Depot are around 800. I'm going to try some 200mic bags in the future, but for the moment I am done straining honey, and frankly, sick and tired of it. My ant problem makes all this a real pain in the neck, I HAVE to clean out everything and it's just a bit slow going as I work out my issues with extracting from old hive material. Almost 19 gallons in this batch, and I gotta bottle it and get it out to friends and such, and sell it to support next year's bees.

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
Glad you had a productive season.  I'm cleaning up and refining dirty wax at the moment.  That 80 micron filtration would be nice for what I'm doing.