Author Topic: Nighttime brawl....... up in a tree!!!  (Read 404 times)

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
Nighttime brawl....... up in a tree!!!
« on: September 26, 2020, 12:47:23 AM »
Got a call from a church in Fullerton Ca. the other day; an owl box the had up in a tree got taken over by bees. About 18 feet off the ground, in a big pecan tree. I agreed to come grab the whole box, they said the bees were quiet and docile, but just getting bigger and bigger.

Set up for an evening removal today, like 5:30/6pm. Got the ladder up, I have a pulley setup from my roofing days that makes the ladder a crane of sorts. I suit up, climb the ladder, get into the tree..... All is good. The girls are milling about, pretty calm. I put the straps on the box, and they start to buzz me, and are irate. I smell vanilla, and it's getting stronger. I smoke 'em a good bit. They don't change their attitude one bit; if anything, they get worse. I start taking hits thru the suit. Ankles get attacked, hammered. I HAVE to lift this box so my son can lower them with the rope&wheel...... This causes great grief, I am totally swarmed. Ugggh. Just get it OVER WITH! I lift, and swing them free of the tree, and warn John of what is coming down to visit him. (DON'T LET THAT ROPE LOOSE AND DROP THOSE BEES, NO MATTER WHAT!!!!)
      He lowers hell down to his level, and on the ground. He's a trooper, he helps set the ladder straight so I don't fall, and I tell him to un-ass the area, and I will work them. Go grab the shop vac, and put water in it......
We beat them up, and bust them down. After about half the hive is vacuumed up, they mellow out. Not to mention, I smoked them out more than Cheech and Chong..... Decided there was no practical reason to save these bees, and I don't have queens to replace the genetics, and I don't really want them around my house. Vacuumed them up, have about 25,30lb of honey and a lot of wax to use.
    Ankles hurt like hell now, throbbing sore. The mean bees, seems their venom is stronger, the stings that got thru the veil into my neck don't feel so good either, but not as bad as my ankles. I showed the church manager a couple pics of our legs, neck, hands..... she was really nice; said "Just send us an invoice; thank you for taking them away." ..........Doing God's work for an evening. ;)

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
Re: Nighttime brawl....... up in a tree!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 07:32:55 AM »
I opened one of my boxes last week for a quick peek and they came pouring out at me. This is a hive that is normally very calm and tolerant. I think during our dearth they are a little more on edge. Just yesterday I moved and trimmed around my boxes and they were fine. I rolled the dice and didn't suit up and took zero stings. My sting number to suit up is 1. I'm not like the DR. Seems once I have sting fermion, stings keep coming.

I am hoping our golden rod is ramping up. I still haven't seen much so far.

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 11:36:43 PM »
Locally, around my house, and the hills where this church is (12 miles away) have a good mix of natural growth that is giving up pollen late, and seems to be a lot of flowering different plants.
In Alpine, where my other hives are, and where that big fire in San Diego was centered, it's really dry, and they are ok, but not pulling in stores well. Very little moisture to power a goldenrod rush. The buckwheat went dry.

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 11:47:48 AM »
Got a call from a church in Fullerton Ca. the other day; an owl box the had up in a tree got taken over by bees. About 18 feet off the ground, in a big pecan tree. I agreed to come grab the whole box, they said the bees were quiet and docile, but just getting bigger and bigger.

Set up for an evening removal today, like 5:30/6pm. Got the ladder up, I have a pulley setup from my roofing days that makes the ladder a crane of sorts. I suit up, climb the ladder, get into the tree..... All is good. The girls are milling about, pretty calm. I put the straps on the box, and they start to buzz me, and are irate. I smell vanilla, and it's getting stronger. I smoke 'em a good bit. They don't change their attitude one bit; if anything, they get worse. I start taking hits thru the suit. Ankles get attacked, hammered. I HAVE to lift this box so my son can lower them with the rope&wheel...... This causes great grief, I am totally swarmed. Ugggh. Just get it OVER WITH! I lift, and swing them free of the tree, and warn John of what is coming down to visit him. (DON'T LET THAT ROPE LOOSE AND DROP THOSE BEES, NO MATTER WHAT!!!!)
      He lowers hell down to his level, and on the ground. He's a trooper, he helps set the ladder straight so I don't fall, and I tell him to un-ass the area, and I will work them. Go grab the shop vac, and put water in it......
We beat them up, and bust them down. After about half the hive is vacuumed up, they mellow out. Not to mention, I smoked them out more than Cheech and Chong..... Decided there was no practical reason to save these bees, and I don't have queens to replace the genetics, and I don't really want them around my house. Vacuumed them up, have about 25,30lb of honey and a lot of wax to use.
    Ankles hurt like hell now, throbbing sore. The mean bees, seems their venom is stronger, the stings that got thru the veil into my neck don't feel so good either, but not as bad as my ankles. I showed the church manager a couple pics of our legs, neck, hands..... she was really nice; said "Just send us an invoice; thank you for taking them away." ..........Doing God's work for an evening. ;)

I'm sitting here Supposed to be working on taxes and my wife want's to know what's so funny.  I try to explain but she just doesn't get it.  I guess it's only truly hilarious when you can relate.

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 01:20:18 AM »
 ;D The inside of the box was loaded with propolis, all over the bottom. They buried an owl chick in the stuff, and the walls. I have a couple pics I will put over from my new phone to show the mess it was.