Author Topic: If you had to choose a pollen substitute, or a supplement to help them along..??  (Read 346 times)

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
MY bees down south are struggling from a lack of pollen at the moment pretty bad. Temps were 100+ for the last 3 weeks nonstop, and they do have water available, but there is almost no pollen coming in right now. There is a lot of eucalyptus that is starting to bloom a few miles away and at a higher altitude, where it's say 10 degrees cooler especially at night. That means the eucalyptus in the valley is about three to five weeks away unless we cool down a whole bunch. (October....) So I do feel they need a pollen sub to get them thru. What would you choose?

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
Ultra Bee Dry or Bee Pro Dry.  Six of one/half dozen of the other.  Get a small container of a few brands and see which one your bees prefer.  It's worth a few bucks to experiment.

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
I got both coming, the ten pound pails, and the 50 pound patty mix that's labeled as economical from Mann Lake. The bummer is, there is darn near zero pollen coming in, and they are stressed at the moment. Going back to feed them this weekend, trying to keep them going for a few more weeks till the heat breaks. (110+ forecast for them this weekend. )  :o

Thanks!!

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
It's been nasty hot here to with high humidity.  I did a big hive removal under a mobile home yesterday.  I've never been so happy to be wallowing in mud and honey.  I had the coolest place around down there out of the sun.