Author Topic: Watched Miss Thang drop an egg on top of a pile of bees  (Read 437 times)

CarSchy

• Newbee

• View Profile
Watched Miss Thang drop an egg on top of a pile of bees
« on: July 31, 2020, 11:36:56 AM »
Not sure why she did this but it sure was weird. Now I am new to beekeeping and know next to nothing....

I was inspecting and saw her sandwiched in a pile of bees. Not anywhere near the comb. While watching this I saw her drop an egg.

It did not appear that they were balling her up. Though lots of bees were around and crossing the comb to get near her. It was just odd to me. Any ideas?

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
Re: Watched Miss Thang drop an egg on top of a pile of bees
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 04:31:26 PM »
IMO, There's no telling what a queen will do when she isn't on comb, especially if she is stressed.

CarSchy

• Newbee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 07:32:59 AM »
Thank you for the reply. You might be right...your reply made me think on what might be stressing them. Heat was the answer I can up with. Added additional ventilation. Appreciate ya!

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »
I am in central FL and my boxes would beard like crazy. I added screen bottom boards and they hardly beard at all. I leave them year round because we have mild winters and my bees fly almost 365. If you are not in the south I would recommend changing back to a solid board in the fall. I changed one box from a screen bottom board to the beetle buster and they beard a little but not too bad.

CarSchy

• Newbee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 09:41:20 AM »
I am in the Southeast and have a screened bottom hive. While the girls only get full sun in their location for a few hours a day, I pulled the mite board for better ventilation. (Top was already lifted) That has fixed what little bearding I had in the evenings. I have not been in the hive since my original post but plan on it very soon. Wanted to give her some time. Am hoping to see that Miss Queenie is not mad at me anymore and is happier with her accommodations. I hate that my inexperience causes trouble. Hopefully she will be dropping eggs in the cells and not randomly casting them around;)

CarSchy

• Newbee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 04:50:02 PM »
Laying correctly now. Watched her in action today. Soooo cool. The girls are starting to bring in pollen pretty good now as well. (Charlotte NC) Have seen some goldenrod around my neighborhood in the past days. I still have no capped honey/sugar water, but they are storing. I’m hoping we have a bit of a fall flow. I started my hive in a dirty and missed all the fun.

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 12:47:17 PM »
I've learned that once you have a new queen in the hive....... you have to just wait it out a bit to see if they settle in and get going. It can make you nutty, as one new queen drops a half a frame of eggs in a day, yet the queen next door seems content to wait till you die of old age or she has no workers left.  :P