Author Topic: Central Florida flow  (Read 380 times)

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
Central Florida flow
« on: July 16, 2020, 07:54:25 PM »
Had a quick look at my boxes today and there was a good amount more honey this week. I thought the flow stopped early July but here in Florida it seems to still be going strong. Anyone else still seeing nectar coming in?

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
Re: Central Florida flow
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 01:23:08 AM »
So, in the hills of San Diego, I have moved 12 of my hives. There is a lot of sumac going, and repeated blooms of huckleberry. There are as I can best count, 9 different types of trees in the bottom of the valley within 1/2 mile of the hives. Seems one or another tree are still blooming late, and eucalyptus is just getting ready to come online. They are doing ok.

My bees at my house are on a rampage; the guava trees are blooming, and there are many in the neighborhood. Also, we hav some different trees, all different blooms. And there are a half dozen big trees next door, some type of eucalyptus that makes red/ purple berries about 1/2" around. OH Lord..... those trees just bloomed, and they have buzzed nonstop each morning when I head out to work at 520am. Just wide open bees.
Gonna do a hive check here tomorrow, I am kinda expecting some smash numbers on honey........ there was a lot that wasn;t quite capped 2 weeks ago...... I'm thinking they have plugged the jugs for this time around!

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 10:14:10 AM »
That's interesting. I think the flow is going a little longer here because we have had good rain fall. Our late spring tends to be dry before we get into the afternoon thunderstorm season which is now happening. My 2 hives I am going to pull honey from have allowed brrod in the upper box to hatch and have filled it with nectar. I am waiting for them to cap it and then I an going to pull some of them to extract. These 2 hives have 2 brood boxes each and there is a lot of bread and honey on the outer frames of the brood boxes. I want clean supers for the golden rod flow which is my favorite honey

SC Pollinator

• Newbee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 11:02:09 PM »
Glad to hear about that honey flow vadentwin. My guess is its coming from the
Cabbage Palm (Sabal Palmetto). Up here in South Carolina they are just beginning
to pop and are covered in bees of all kinds. They make good honey. Great thing to
have right now while we are in a dearth of most abundant nectar producers

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 08:39:00 AM »
The honey I have been pulling is dark and taste like palmetto, but last year I left a bunch to encourage growth. I think my honey this year is a mixture. I am going to extract all the honey in my supers on my two largest hives. They both have two boxes of brood and lots of bread and honey on the outer frames. I want my fall extraction to be mostly golden rod and not a mixture.

I cleaned up a couple frames of cross comb yesterday and got just over 6lbs (pic attached) It is pretty dark. 

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 11:34:12 AM »
I crushed and strained the comb and put it out for the bees to clean up. They are not touching it. There is heavy traffic coming out of all the boxes but nothing going for the scraps. There has to be something supplying them and keeping them busy.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:41:59 PM by vadentwin »

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »
Man that honey looks good.  I prefer darker honey.

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 04:05:00 PM »
My wife does too. My favorite I have tasted from my hives was last fall I cut a small piece to sample. It was light and tasted peachy. It was similar to Tupelo, but we don't have any Tupelo around me as far as I know. I am going to extract all my supers this weekend in hopes it will come in the same this fall. They still seem to be bringing in nectar. They are still filling cells with honey/nectar. More filled cells this week than last week.