Author Topic: Washboarding/Overheating?  (Read 318 times)

allredkh

• Newbee

• View Profile
Washboarding/Overheating?
« on: July 13, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »
All 3 of my colonies have lots of bees out front. I have 1 in particular that has a TON of bees hanging out on the bottom board and on the outside of the hive. There are no queen cups or cells, & they have plenty of space. Is it just bearding or washboarding & should I be super concerned? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:20:32 AM by allredkh »

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
Re: Washboarding/Overheating?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 12:55:19 AM »
Not sure where you are, but that does make a bit of a difference....... If you have a single brood box, and a honey super on top, then maybe consider a second brood box to give the queen room to work. If you are running a two brood setup, and there are say 8,10 frames with brood in them, and you see some drones still, then it's not too late to do a split.
If it's a single brood box that has 7,8 frames with brood in it, you can do a split. Just be sure to have some extra frames of resources for the new colony.

If it's God-awful hot like it was here Friday and Saturday, then they are just bearding likely. My bottoms are vented with a screened opening, 6x10" It helps a lot. (We also do not freeze in SoCal, so I don't have to worry about winters like many folks. So long as they have some extra food, thy heat up and ride it out pretty easily when our cold days do come.) If you winter HARD, like Maine or the Dakotas...... I"d think about a split if it seems right, but I would feed them and be sure to promote some growth and storage for winter.

Hope this gives you some kind of perspective to balance your ideas off of. 

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 07:14:07 AM »
My (Florida) hives would beard up like crazy to the point I swear half the hive was on the front of the box. They would all go back in as the sun went down.  I added screen bottom boards and it immediately stopped. I added a beetle buster bottom board a few weeks ago. And that hive bearded pretty heavy for a few days and then settled down. I only use screen bottoms for the same reason as Diablo. My bees fly year round outside of a cold day here and there.

If they are bearding in the heat of the day and going in at night I would say this is normal. As for wash boarding, I have my own theories on what they are doing. If you look at the area they washboard after a rain it seems they are waxing the entrance to repel water.

allredkh

• Newbee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:22:09 AM »
I'm in Northeast Louisiana. It's hot as Hades & just as humid.  Thank you for your help!

Rojodiablo

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:59:52 PM »
I'm in Northeast Louisiana. It's hot as Hades & just as humid.  Thank you for your help!
You guys get wicked cold snaps in parts of Louisiana, so what I have for my hives is a simple piece of cardboard that will drop in the screen  cutout (Screen is on bottom so there s a pocket in the hive) I lift the box up off the bottom a bit, and my son or a friend reaches in and drops the cardboard in the hole. It's not a super tight fit; it allows some airflow still, but blocks like 95% of the opening.

The girls will glue that thing in, very fast........ Like two weeks and its IN. That's why I use cardboard. When it gets warmer, I just tear it out easily, and the hive breathes.