Author Topic: Beetle baffle  (Read 1276 times)

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
Re: Beetle baffle
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 08:13:22 AM »
So you are baiting without poison?  Can someone send a link for these jewel cases?

BlazingBees

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 08:13:11 PM »
Link to slim jewel cases:
https://www.amazon.com/KEYIN-Black-Slim-Jewel-Case/dp/B07KCGKLY4
and here's a video about beetles that explains how to use them
https://youtu.be/-QE2FhIVNTI
Hope this helps

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 09:34:26 PM »
I wonder if you could apply Tangle Foot to the inside and turn it into a sticky trap.  I have a couple of cans of it.  I think I'll try.

BlazingBees

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 12:50:20 AM »
That's a good idea bait the inner circle with pollen and honey and paint the outer circle with tanglefoot

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 01:32:26 PM »
Installed the beetle buster bottom board on Monday and then had to go on a work trip. Came home today to the bees are bearding up on the entrance. If is hot as hell here and they had a screen bottom before this.

Think its the heat and less ventilation?I am going to pull the reducer off and have a look inside.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:58:01 PM by vadentwin »

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
I got some of the jewel traps and baited with honey and then placed tangle foot in the corners so they would get stuck on the way to the honey. Pic attached.

The bees were very aggressive today. I thought I could just go pop the lid an drop this case in the top of the frames wearing shorts and a tee shirt with sandals. When I walked up to the box I was immediately greeted by a guard bee that started bumping me in the head and acting angry. I decided maybe I should wear a veil. Then as soon as I lifted the inner cover they poured out and lit me up. They have never been this mean before. I ended up have to suit up and lite the smoker. Since I was suited up I decided to really piss them off and weed eat around the boxes.

Will up date with the results and beetle counts. Today count was "butt load" but corralled in the corners and inner cover edges. I also sprinkled DE around the the boxes and underneath them and installed the beetle entrance thing in second pic.

The box that I added the Beetle Buster bottom board has stopped bearding up during the heat of the day.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:26:36 PM by vadentwin »

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 07:39:05 AM »
Checked the case yesterday and when I lifted the top cover there were at least  100 beetles scurrying on top of the inner cover. I popped the inner cover and there were only a few corralled in the edges. I lifted the trap and walked away and when I popped it open there was no honey and there were 5-6 beetles walking around on the tangle foot giving me the finger. I quickly adjusted their spines before they could fly away.

What am I doing wrong with this tangle foot? do I need to let it dry a little more before closing the trap?

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 11:38:59 PM »
I'm not sure about the Tangle Foot but it's good to know what your results were.  I'll stick to oil traps and swiffer pads for the time being.  You're the only beetle chiropractor I know.

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2020, 06:26:36 PM »
Tangle foot in black jewel cases isn't doing anything. I pulled the ones with tangle foot because the beetles seem free to come and go.

The hive with largest reduction so far seems to be with the Guardian bee entrance ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087D8R3B8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I also added 1/4 swiffer sheets to the top of the frames and the top of the inner cover

My largest, strongest hive has the most honey and beetles and I added a Beetle Buster bottom board. There may be a small reduction but still a bunch. I have notice the majority are now sitting on top of the inner cover when I pop the lid. This hive is strong and even tough there are a bunch of beetles I rarely see any on the comb. I added  1/4 swiffer sheet to the top of the frames and 1/4 sheet on the top of the inner cover.

Got a Dadant SHB trap coming tomorrow
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 06:43:48 PM by vadentwin »

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2020, 07:52:06 PM »
Did an inspection today and my big hive with the beetle buster bottom board, and now, swiffer sheets had significantly fewer beetles today. the red entrance thing a bob seems to be reducing them on another decent size hive.

SC Pollinator

• Newbee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2020, 11:09:48 PM »
I've been using the red guardian bee hive entrances. They are awesome against the beetles! Wish
I would have come up with that idea

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2020, 02:19:47 PM »
I spoke with a local (south MS) yesterday who has been testing out the Beetle Baffle and has seen no reduction in adult small hive beetles in his equipment.  He is transitioning to oil tray bottoms.

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 03:58:11 PM »
I had a look today just popping the inner cover and looking at the super to see if they are still bringing in nectar. I didn't see any live beetles other than a few tangled in the swiffer sheets. That is the hive with the beetle buster bottom board. I didn't pull out any frames but before I was getting a bunch scrambling as soon as I lifted the lid. I should have grab a video of it. Will next time. I also sprinkled DE under the boxes.