Author Topic: Veil and gloves  (Read 679 times)

Zebp45

• Newbee

• View Profile
Veil and gloves
« on: September 11, 2019, 06:35:27 PM »
Who makes the camo veil used in the videos?

Who makes /sells your favorite gloves? 

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
Re: Veil and gloves
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 07:48:02 AM »
The mosquito net hats can be found on ebay.  The best gloves I've ever gotten were given to me by my brother so I don't know who made them but I think they came from Mann Lake.  They were goat skin.  On the rare occasion that I actually use gloves they are usually the short welding gloves (goat skin).  The combination of a bulky bee suit and seventeen inch forearms makes it impossible to get most of those long beekeeping gloves on.  My next ones to try out will be from Guardian Bee Apparel. 

enginetrics

• Administrator
  • Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 07:31:02 PM »
Blue latex gloves for me. Stinger still gets through sometimes but it takes the girls a little more effort and stingers seem to not get dug in too well.

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 07:19:53 AM »
I am looking to get a Jacket with a veil to do cut outs and work trap outs. I have a round veil now and have been using a white long sleeve fishing shirt. This has worked well in my bee yard (only 2 hives) and most of the time I don't wear the veil. Doing trap outs and soon some cut outs I need some protection as I don't know the temperament of the bees and trapping out can be quite irritating to bees. My main problem area is my wrist, right between the nitrile glove and sleeve. I am leaning toward the Guardian jacket but was wondering what the difference is between the Pro fit and Easy Access veil other than size and distance from your face. Seems like the front screen being far from your face would reduce visibility. Also do the Guardian Jackets have a finger loop to keep the sleeve from creeping up your arm? Can they be thrown in the washer and drier?

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

Terry Chapman

• Newbee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 09:29:16 PM »
Hey Vadentwin,
Guardian bee jackets do have thumb loops...  they can be washed on the delicate cycle and air dried.  We do recommend removing the veil and handwashing it.  The Pro fit is just a more compact version of the Easy Access veil like you mentioned, no other differences.  With everyone's eyesight being different it is difficult to accurately comment on the distance of the veil affecting someone's vision. I have 20/20 vision and either Veil seems to work fine for me, But I have seen comments where it has been mentioned that the farther the veil is from someone's face the harder it is to see objects like eggs in brood comb.  I hope this helps, let me know if I can help any further.

vadentwin

• Super Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 10:39:52 AM »
Just remembered today I never update with my thoughts on the Guardian Jacket. This jacket is awesome and they though of everything from the way the hood opens to the placement of pockets and zipper design. Would highly recommend this to anyone looking for protection gear.

BALBOA

• Newbee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 11:01:02 PM »
My favorite gloves are from Honest Bee Hives,they are very durable and comfortable.Mann Lake also sells very good equipment.

Rojodiablo

• Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 02:19:49 AM »
For bee suits........ vented, at all costs. Buy once, cry once. I was suited up and sweating like a politician facing St. Peter at the Pearly Gates.... my son had the vented suit and was much happier. Plus, they repel stings better.

As to gloves; I like te 6, or 8mil nitrile gloves. Bees can light you up thru straight cowhide leather gloves when they are determined.... so it's really pointless, unless you are expecting a fight. The nitrile deflects stingers VERY well. And, you can still have touch sensitivity good enough to pick up a queen easily without making a grease stain of her. The slightly thicker gloves are a good bit better than the typical thin ones at Home Depot. Try Autozone, Pep Boys, etc, or your local truck parts supply shop, or a cleaning and safety warehouse.
The good gloves are also the cat's pajamas for working on the car, they hold up so much better than the thinner gloves.